eCosPro Developer's Kit for the Raspberry Pi
eCosCentric will shortly be releasing the eCosPro Developer's Kit for the Raspberry Pi. If you would like to be kept informed of the latest news and updates then please register your interest.
- The most comprehensive RTOS offering available for the Raspberry Pi®
- FREE for non-commercial use
- Supports the full range of Raspberry Pi boards
- True real-time functionality for responsive, dependable, time-critical applications
- Instant-on embedded applications - no lengthy bootstrap process
- The eCosPro Developer's Kit for the Raspberry Pi includes full runtime functionality and a complete set of host tools for embedded application development
- Prototype, develop and deploy on the Raspberry Pi, or easily port product prototypes to alternative eCosPro target platforms
The Raspberry Pi has brought low-cost, feature-rich and expandable hardware to the market which has captured the imagination of makers, educators and embedded engineers alike. The diverse range of readily available expansion cards and accessories can be used as building blocks to swiftly turn hardware concepts into working prototypes. eCosPro® eases the transition between prototyping on Raspberry Pi boards to deployment of the final embedded product. It enables embedded applications to deployed on low-cost Pi boards, Pi Compute Modules, or ported to more specialised custom embedded hardware designs.
The eCosPro real-time operating system is available for the entire Raspberry Pi family of boards. This includes the Raspberry Pi 3, Pi 2, Pi 1, Pi Zero boards, as well as the Pi Compute Modules 1 and 3. In addition to the architectural ports of eCosPro to the Cortex-A53, Cortex-A7 and ARM11 based Broadcom SoCs, drivers are written for their key peripherals, including UART, GPIO, I2C, SPI, SDHC, eMMC, USB and Ethernet. Symmetric Multi-Processing (SMP) functionality is included for quad-core Cortex-A53 and A7 based Raspberry Pi's.
Developers are provided with a conventional embedded cross development environment, available for both Linux and Windows hosts. C and C++ applications are configured, built and debugged using the Eclipse integrated development environment with eCosPro plug-in. eCosCentric's plug-in supports connection to the Raspberry Pi target during development via JTAG-based hardware debug, or alternatively, over high-speed serial or Ethernet using the RedBoot debug agent running on the Raspberry Pi.
In contrast to general purpose operating systems for the Raspberry Pi, eCosPro is a light-weight multi-threaded real-time operating system, delivering rapid response times, sub-microsecond interrupt latencies and minimal processor overhead. eCosPro's resource requirements are a fraction of those demanded by a desktop/general purpose OS, maximising the RAM resources available to applications. Direct boot from SD card provides an instant-on capability enabling embedded applications to be responsive within milliseconds. The eCos RTOS is portable across a wide range of embedded architectures and microcontrollers, so applications prototyped using eCosPro on the Raspberry Pi can be readily ported to other targets.
True Embedded Cross-Development Environment
- Eclipse integrated development environment with eCosPro plug-in
- Industry standard GNU compiler toolset including C/C++ compiler, assembler, linker and source level debugger
- Debugging options include eCosCentric's TAP-HAT hardware debug HAT, high-speed serial & Ethernet
- Support for both Windows® and Linux® hosted cross-development environments
Comprehensive Runtime Functionality
- eCosPro RTOS distribution based on eCosCentric's internal stringently tested stable source base
- Includes networking, file systems, USB classes, C/C++ libraries and other runtime packages
- Raspberry Pi device support includes: Ethernet, USB, UART, I2C, SPI, SDHC, eMMC and GPIO
- SMP support for multi-core processors including full thread affinity control
- USB host and peripheral stacks with Mass Storage, CDC ACM, FTDI, RNDIS, CDC EEM classes
- FAT file system for USB memory sticks, Compute Module eMMC and SDHC cards
- RedBoot™ firmware - SD card based bootloader provides JTAG setup, GPIO diagnostic commands and GDB agent for high-speed serial and Ethernet debug connections
eCosCentric will be releasing the eCosPro Developer's Kit for the Raspberry Pi shortly. If you would like to be kept informed of the latest news and updates then please register your interest. In the meantime you can find out more about eCospro and see examples of the embedded products and markets that make use of eCos.